Friday, July 8, 2016

GUEST ARTIST FEATURE: Colored Pencils and Gamsol with Chari Moss

Hello crafty friends, it’s Chari Moss from MossyMade, and I am delighted to be a guest on the WPlus9 blog today. I love Dawn’s work, especially her watercoloring. I myself am not a watercolor wonder; I’m much more comfortable with markers or pencils. So today’s card features an ink blended background and some colored pencil work using the new Friends for all Seasons: Summer stamp set and Companion Die.

I love the soft look you can get from colored pencils, especially when you blend them well. I like to use Gamsol to blend my pencils when I want a smooth look like I did on this card, but you can also just blend them with each other for a more textured look. What I have learned with pencils is it is best to start light and build the layers up to get the look you want.

I've put together a video to walk you through it all step by step below.

Watch above or watch in HD at YouTube

For my background I wanted to keep the soft look so I picked some lighter distress ink colors and blended the sky with shaded lilac toward the bottom, tumbled glass in the middle and a little bit of broken china at the top around the sunshine glow. I used scattered straw to create the glow in the top right corner. To create some movement across my card and keep balance with my sun I placed my grassy hill in the bottom right corner, it is inked with Twisted Citron and just a bit of Mowed Lawn along the edge for definition.

I added a couple little bees from the set and some custom white embellishments dots across the sky with a Tsukineko Pico Embellisher in wedding dress white.

Thanks to Dawn and WPlus9 for having me today and thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. Super cute card! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its adorable AND the background is soft, Chari. A great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute card. Your colors are perfect. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blended ink background.
    Very sweet card :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So gorgeous, love the way the colors blend so smoothly and naturally. Looks so amazing, and your coloring looks absolutely fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great tutorial. I needed it to manage my prismacolors better.
    And the card is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable and your sun is amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card ! The colors are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely!
    Cristina
    thehouseoftheblackbirds.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely, colorful vcard!
    I appreciate how you talked us through your process and explained the why behind some steps. Very well done video tutorial - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest