Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Masculine vs. Feminine

I don't think it is any secret that I am kind of obsessed with geometric and graphic designs. Well, that and florals. But no florals today. I know...shocker!

I wanted to use the same elements, basic layout and color palette to create one feminine and one masculine card. It's a two-fer. I seem to be making a habit of that.

For both cards, instead of creating a symmetrical pattern in my background, I chose to stamp the circles (the suns/moons) from the Encoraging Words stamp set randomly across my background, allowing them to overlap. This is going to support the more eclectic elements I've chosen for the rest of my first card.

These colors - Nautical Navy, Miami Spice, Flamingo, and Ocean Drive - can easily be swayed to either a masculine or feminine feel by little touches. The gold embossing and delicate font of the sentiment from Unconditionally on this one, along with the gold sequins really help push it to the feminine side.

And of course, a few splatters of shimmer using the Shimmer Spray Mist doesn't hurt either!

For the second card I used all of the same main elements. Except this time I omitted the gold, sequins and shimmer.

I still used a bit of vellum, but I placed it behind my sentiment panel so that it is less prominent. I wouldn't usually use vellum in a masculine designs, but here it serves to highlight the sentiment and separate it from the background. I think it works, what you do think?

As always, thanks for stopping by! I hope you are having a great week so far, it's allllmost Friday!

Supplies

7 comments:

  1. I think its works perfectly. BOTH cards are great. Good job on them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful ideas, Dawn! I am in love with both these cards and must write these ideas in my new little "Techniques" booklet! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful cards Dawn. Love the twist with the feminine and masculine using the same elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn I love your two-fers! Just awesome use of these simple shapes. I am in the market for some different ink pads, Dawn... sell me on yours, please?
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both,and two-fers are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I need to add your inks to my collection. These colors are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Works wonderfully! Love those ink colors.

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest