Monday, November 26, 2018

GUEST ARTIST FEATURE: Getting Cosy w/Debby Hughes ft. COOKIES & COCOA

Hi, Debby here today with a little cosy watercolouring!


Watch above or watch in HD at YouTube

Let's jump straight in! I used the Cookies & Cocoa set for this card in a style I'm drawn to - that of a focal point of no-line watercolour on an otherwise clean and simple card. I started with a piece of Arches Cold Pressed watercolour card in the Misti and stamped the outline cup image from the Cookies & Cocoa set in Antique Linen Distress ink three times and popped the marshmallows image on top of each cup.

I painted the cups with Daniel Smith watercolours. I chose three colours for the cups which were inspired by some candles I just bought. Although I enjoy all the bright traditional colours of the winter season, I'm always more drawn to muted shades and so for this card I challenged myself to use the muted colours I love. I mixed a grey-green, a dilute pink and a dusky, grey purple. To finish off the painting I added a light shadow beneath the cups which I blended out with plenty of water. This helped ground the cups and stopped them looking like they are floating in mid-air. Then I took a little white gouache and added a few highlights. Gouache is an opaque watercolour and will show up even when painted on a darker colour. Once I was happy with the watercolour on the cups, I splattered a little of the green watercolour mixture around the card and then I added splatters of a solution of Perfect Pearls. This is one of my most favourite ways to add sparkle, highlights and that ethereal look that I like.

I stamped accent images from the Cookies & Cocoa set on the cups with clear embossing ink and white heat embossed - two snowflakes for the cups in the foreground and a heart for the pink cup at the back. I then trimmed the panel down and foam mounted on a Desert Storm card base. For the sentiment, I chose the "It's time to get cozy greeting" from the Cookies and Cocoa set. I treated a scrap of Slate card with a powder tool, stamped the sentiment in clear embossing ink, sprinkled with white embossing powder and heat set. I then used a scalpel and ruler to trim the piece into a banner to add to the card. I struggle with straight lines and find this method to be the most reliable as I can use the lines on the clear ruler to ensure I'm cutting things straight. I foam mounted the sentiment banner on the card and used a T-square ruler to ensure I had it on straight.

To finish off the card I added a few sequins in toning pastel colours to bring in a little more sparkle for the season and kept those in place with Nuvo Deluxe adhesive.

Thanks for joining me today and I hope you enjoyed seeing these cosy cocoa cups come to life.

~Debby

Featured Supplies

For your convenience, here is a list of the featured Wplus9 supplies used on today's project(s), along with links to purchase.

Cookies & Cocoa
Cookies & Cocoa
Shop at:
WP9 | SSS | EH

ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES

  • Media - Daniel Smith Watercolours, Winsor & Newton white gouache
  • Ink - Antique Linen Distress Ink, Simon Says Stamp clear embossing ink
  • Embossing Powder - Simon Says Stamp white
  • Card - Arches Cold Pressed watercolour card, Neenah Desert Storm 100lb, Simon Says Stamp Slate card
  • Embellishments - Perfect Pearls powder, Iced Sherbet sequins from Little Things From Lucy’s Cards, Star Dust Stickles
  • Adhesives - Nuvo Deluxe adhesive, 3M foam tape
  • Other - Misti, Scissors, Tweezers, Anti-static powder bag, heat tool

6 comments:

  1. Just one more thing I love about you, Debby! Our shared love of muted colors... these are just the mugs I'd choose, too!
    Gorgeous card - off to watch you make magic... xx
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, this is just lovely! I can almost taste the marshmallows! Just love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing use of this set! Gorgeous card, inspired to try watercoloring with it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this card and your special touches with the watercolors! Thank you so much for sharing your talent and video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so so pretty! Thank you for the lovely video and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest