Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tips for One Layer Cards with Maureen

The definition of a one layer card is a single piece of card stock with no added layers. These cards are completely flat and perfect for mailing. Adding a die cut or two and embellishments to your one layer card is completely acceptable in my opinion and still "counts" as one layer card.

Many stampers struggle with one layer cards, so I thought I'd share a few things that I keep in mind when creating one layer cards.

First and foremost, you need to have flow. Flow helps your eye move around the design. I created flow on this card by stamping from the bottom left to the upper right of the card. You also want to make sure you have grounded your images, otherwise they will look like they are floating in outer space. You can do this by stamping a border, adding a stripe of card stock or patterned paper or adding score lines.

Lastly, add a special touch. This will vary from card to card. To give my card a finished look I rounded the corners. It's just a little something, but it definitely makes a difference.

This card came together so quickly and easily that I was able to flip the design and make another card in about five minutes!

I hope you'll give the one layer card a try!

11 comments:

  1. Love those stripes that you used to ground the design, Maureen....such a simple idea that makes a huge impact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely cards ! I am one of card makers who struggle keeping the layers to minimum ;)S your tips are going to be very helpful ! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely remember them when I make a 1-layer. Your examples are fabulous - I love how the floral images "hug" the sentiments on each card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you....these are great tips for a one-layer card!!!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards Maureen, thanks for the lesson. I love that stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, and gorgeous cards! Thanks so much for sharing your insights. ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cards, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your precious tips! Your card is sooo beautiful!
    Cristina
    thehouseoftheblackbirds.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Astonishing cards and very useful tips! My biggest stryggle when it comes to one layer is spoiling the back of a card base, so one layer card turns into a panel to be adhered to another card base haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure that I 'need' this stamp set! I love a one-layer card, and this one is so pretty and classy! I send a lot of cards to church members and chemo patients, so this would be perfect! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely and elegant one layer CAS card. Great tips I do tend to struggle with this style of card. tfs

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest