Thursday, March 10, 2016

Faux Shaker Card with Maureen Merritt

Hi, it's Maureen here. Today I'm sharing a Faux Shaker card that features the Small Butterfly Frame die and the newly released That is All stamp set.

 Wplus9 Supplies:
Stamps: That is All // Inks: Black // Dies: Small Butterfly Frame Die // Cardstock: White

Why the "faux" shaker? Shaker cards aren't particularly hard to put together, but I find them a bit time consuming. I also like to have control over where all of those little sequins wind up. So, I mostly make Faux Shakers. Faux Shakers have all of the fun of a traditional shaker just without all of the steps.

To make my card, I started by coloring a piece of watercolor card stock using Distress Markers. I spritzed the card stock with water and set it with a heat tool. Next, I die cut the Small Butterfly Frame from the watercolored panel.

Here's where the faux part comes into play. Instead of adding clear acetate to the back of my frame and sprinkling in my shaker bits, I skipped that part. I lined it with foam tape as usual, and then adhered it to the center of a white card base. I stamped the sentiment from That is All in Black ink and then glued all of the sequins into place. I laid a heavier layer of sequins in the bottom of the frame, then sprinkled a few here and there to add flow to the design. Each butterfly was also adorned with a sequin.

The end result gives the appearance of a shaker, but without the fuss of creating an perfect seal so that all of the little bits don't fall out. You could even add in the acetate window to further capture the look.

As always, thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous, Maureen! The shaking would never be missed!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start making faux shakers! I love the look it gives your gorgeous card, Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your faux shaker, Mo! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful - and what a great idea to create a faux shaker!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg!! Such an awesome idea! Love shakers but don't do them often because of fuss. Will definitely trying it.
    You card is stunning! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!!!!! Thank you!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really neat idea. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card, and I love the idea of a faux shaker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The butterfly frame is really amazing!!!
    Cristina
    thehouseoftheblackbirds.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest